This was a design task assigned to present initial ideas for a Children's theatre production. Using a creative brief, production specification and script, I designed a costume for one of the characters and the set.
I started with the main themes from the creative brief and made notes of the most important aspects from the script. Using this as a foundation, I made some quick sketches (Image 1), focusing on the colours and shapes of the set. I then created a mood/inspiration board (Image 2), starting with ideas for colours & lighting and introducing symbolism. Image 3 shows the development of these ideas to include symbolic interpretations. These components are incorporated and combined with the ideas from the colour and shapes sketches as a background. I then moved onto creating a mood/board for the costume (Image 4); focusing on the design and how it could be made (Image 5 & Image 6). The featured video above shows the 3D construction of the set made using SketchUp.